Friday, March 5, 2010

Kicking the Habit

This is just a short note to say, I am web-logging now. I'm not sure if one diplomat's experiences in South India will be interesting to anyone, but there are absurd and wonderful things to be shared.

I'll eventually be comfortable saying that I am a blogger. In the meantime, I'll share this article: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/28/magazine/28FOB-onlanguage-t.html?ref=magazine.

At least three times a day, I'm forced to say the word, "webinar," at work. I hate this word. I'm resolutely in favor of portmanteaus, but something about this word gives me the willies. I've tried avoiding it. "Web seminars," I'll say in conversations with coworkers. I've tried to sneak that into emailed invitations to the dreaded events, only to have the thing edited back into linguistic grossness. I know it's not very web 2.0 of me to hate the word. I don't consider myself a Luddite, but if saying "webinar," is part of today's zeitgeist, then I say, "back to the days of the printing press!"

Anyway, look for more random scribblings from me to come. I'll try to keep this light, clean, and only slightly curry-scented.

No comments:

Post a Comment